Saturday, October 13, 2012

And the results are in:

Thank goodness for these two fine videos that give step by step instructions on how to make a Fondant Rose and Fondant Pony because they helped me create these!! Yes, I know those sound a bit challenging, but I decided to try them anyway.




A few good things:
  1. I can't believe I was able to make those things after only watching a video.
  2. I'm better than I thought I would be, not to toot my own horn or anything ;).
  3. It's so much fun!!!!!! 
A few bad things:
  1. I need to buy different colors. I only had white fondant and red ink so I was very limited. 
  2. I need to buy different tools. I molded/flattened/shaped/rolled it all by hand which resulted in several imperfections.
  3. As seen in the horse picture, I put too much water on its face to get rid of the powered sugar left over from molding. I should have just brushed it off with my finger.
  4. Water is not a very good glue agent for fondant. They say it works on the different websites I visited, but it's just not that great.
  5. The chocolate frosting was a weird choice for the pony. She looks like she's sitting in her own........
  6. The cupcakes were bland. They weren't very fluffy and they were just boring. I guess that's about all you can expect from a box cake mix, huh? 
Needless to say, I learned many different things after my first fondant session. Baking tip #2: Among needing a million other different tools, look into getting an actual fondant glue (yes they make them edible!). The pony looked horrible when it was all shiny on the nose area after dousing it in water to remove powdered sugar and to force it to stick to the head. It also makes the fondant bleed so I had spots of red on my white pony where I didn't want it. Hopefully, fondant glue will make it stick fast and strong. 

I'm so excited about my next fondant-fun session. Here are a few other things I created that didn't involve a video and weren't as complicated. (The pumpkin was my favorite but of course I didn't have the right colors so I just used what I had).




I can't wait to create more!!!! Stay tuned!

Until later,
Baker in Training

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gods, Bleighton! Those are so amazing! Look at you go! I'm so jealous. Baking is NOT my cup of tea. You need cupcakes? I got mixes. Lol.

    ReplyDelete