Thursday, October 18, 2012

Shop 'til you drop!

Well, I guess I didn't do that much shopping or even spend very much at all, but it was still productive (and fun)! I bought a few things that I needed in order to make different shapes for future creations and most certainly for the upcoming spooky holiday. The Halloween ones will actually be given to my coworkers so they have to be more presentable than my first creations. So, these new things will help:
  • Different fondant colors- black, yellow and green. At the store, I was so frustrated because I couldn't find orange coloring. I couldn't believe they didn't have it. I came to find out later when I was watching a video on fondant pumpkins that you just mix the red and yellow to make orange. DUH!!!! Baking tip #3: Though you're not in art class anymore, buff up on your color wheel. It will come in handy when you're trying to figure out how to make specific colors. I can't believe I didn't realize you could mix them to make others. Can't a kindergartener do that without thinking too hard?? Sheesh! Granted, if I started mixing all willy nilly I'd end up with poop brown most of the time anyway, so I need to study my colors again!
  • Edible glue- we'll see how much better that works than just plain water. Now I may want to think about a paint brush? I've seen plenty of videos where people use one to "paint" the glue onto the fondant.
  • Circle shape cutters- I have three sizes to work with.
  • Frosting tip- I can't even describe the shape of it, but it's a common design and it will be cool to see how it turns out on my cupcakes.
  • Fondant roller- I really wanted a small plastic rolling pin, but all that Michael's had were the humongous ones which I do not have a need for. I was also too impatient to wait until I received one from Amazon. So, I settled for a "Duff" (Ace of Cakes is awesome anyway so supporting it is a good thing) brand rolling pin that looks like a paint roller. We'll see how that works out.
  • Last, but definitely not least, a fondant cutter- I was, unsuccessfully, using a butter knife to cut the fondant before I got this neat tool. I can't wait to see what the two different blades are like and how easily they cut through the fondant. 
I'm so very excited to try out my new toys!! Hopefully the Halloween cupcakes will turn out beautifully.

Until later,
Baker in Training

No comments:

Post a Comment