Thursday, March 28, 2013

And what does she win? A BRAND NEW KITCHEN!

...Well, I didn't win it per say, but my apartment complex decided to remodel and gave me a new kitchen. That's a win in my book!! It definitely wasn't for free, mind you, our rent is definitely going up but at least only by a little. Either way, I HAVE A BRAND NEW KITCHEN!!!! Can you tell I'm excited? I so am.

Now, I wasn't completely unsatisfied with the old one. It had a working (old) oven and a sort-of working disposal (clogged often) and refrigerator (leaked frequently). But, it was my kitchen and I loved it. I did not know, however, how much I would love a new kitchen with new appliances. I almost teared up I was so happy to be working with new things in the kitchen. I thought for sure I'd have to wait until I was in my permanent house in order to have new things but I stand corrected. So anyway, here is the before [top] and after [bottom] of my kitchen transformation. I just love it!





The day after the final remodel, it took them several annoying-couldn't-have-anything-in-the-cabinets-or-on-the-counter-tops days, I decided I wanted to bake something. I just HAD to break in that new oven!! I broke out my baking tools and set out to make brownies for the first time. Yes, my very first time baking brownies from scratch. [You thought I'd never get away from cupcakes, did ya?? :-P]

Well, let's just say (how many times have I said this?) the brownies didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. I used this recipe from Pinterest Lunch Lady Brownies and it seemed like a solid one to me. *...Says the novice brownie baker...* But it most certainly was not or I just mixed it wrong or something. I honestly do not have any idea. This is what I ended up with:


Baking tip #14: Don't put your frosting on when the brownies are even the slightest bit warm. I thought to myself, "Sure, Self, these are cool enough that your frosting won't melt, separate and leave a weird sugar/butter mess on top of your cardboard brownies." I was WRONG. Cool completely. You'll thank me later.

Baking tip #15: Do some research with your recipes. Compare several different ones and see the commonalities and differences. Don't just pick one and assume it's going to be the best recipe ever, I learned that the hard way. Some recipes are better/worse than others. Let me just say I won't be using this recipe again... we just didn't mesh too well.

I couldn't even eat a whole slice of it. Ryan ate one, but I think it was just to humor me. What a sweetheart! If he had baked them, I would've told him, "Um...this tastes like weird chocolate cardboard. Can I puke it up now?" Not really, because I'm not that mean, but that's what I would've at least said in my head! They must have been missing something or maybe I messed the steps up? Eh, I dunno. Either way, I threw them out! See ya later weird brownies!!

After that brownie debacle, I decided to retire brownies for now and start with something a little more simple. I started looking on Pinterest for a solid chocolate chip cookie (CCC) recipe and Boy! did I find one!!! 8 Secrects to the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie:  I love this link because the author goes into the most amazing detail about do's and don't's of baking CCCs. She has a step-by-step guide to mixing and even has a troubleshooting section. Who would've thought of "cookie troubleshooting?" I'd never seen it before but this author really gives good pointers. It's too awesome!! I can say that after following those steps, I was much more confident in my cookies that I was in my brownies. They even tasted delicious, too!!!! So, without further ado, here they are:


 LOOK AT THAT SHINY, CLEAN, NEW OVEN!!! :):):)

Perfect, right? Well... close enough for me! I hope everyone has a great Easter weekend. Maybe I'll bake something Easter-y?

Until later,
Baker in Training

No comments:

Post a Comment