Monday, May 13, 2013

On to the next one!

I have to admit, after the whole loss-of-pictures debacle, I was definitely feeling down in the baking area. A lot of work had been lost on here and I didn't feel like baking anything. Not a single thing. Sad, huh? But one day, my boss at work randomly says to me, "We should have a baking contest!" to which I replied like a 13 year old girl, "OH-EM-GEEEE! YES WE SHOULD!!!!" This shot a wave of excitement through me because I had a reason to get started again and bake something new. I mean, I'm known as the "baking girl" at work anyway, how could I not bake something??

It took me a long time to come up with what I was going to bake. Obviously, I was gonna make cupcakes, but which ones? I'd already done standard vanilla and chocolate. It was time to do something completely different. Thus, the Pinterest inspired idea for three musketeer cupcakes sprang to life!! If you ask any of my close friends, though it may take them a second because I have so many sweets that I love, they'll tell you that three musketeer bars are my all time fav. I always have and always will love them. So, why not stuff and top a chocolate cupcake with what I consider to be the best candy bar ever? Sounds good to me!!

So, here they are in all of their glorious wonder:


As I said before, these were from Pinterest and this is the link that I used: 3 Musketeers Cupcakes. I really enjoyed this recipe a lot. It was easy and came out deliciously! It was definitely the most moist, light and fluffy cupcake I've ever made. I was super excited! I did make some tweeks to the recipe, but unfortunately, I don't remember what they were. Baking Tip #16: Always write down any modifications you make to the recipes. Not only does it make the cake/cupcake/cookie a little bit more of your own, but if it turns out really amazing, you know exactly what you did to make them that way.

The thing I was probably most excited about with this recipe was the frosting. I mean, melted three musketeer bars whipped into a frosting? Pure heaven. I had never worked with marshmallow fluff before, but I figured it wouldn't be that difficult. It actually ended up being the easiest part of making the frosting since I had to melt down the candy bars, which didn't go that smoothly. It started out easy enough, the first batch was damn near perfect but I can't say the same about the second. Baking Tip #17: When melting those mini candy bars, give it your undivided attention. Seriously. You'll burn something just like I did! One minute I was melting the candy bars and the next, while I was pulling the cupcakes out of the oven, the pot was smoking!! Don't worry, neither my pot nor myself were damaged but it was still scary, not to mention smelly. Burnt chocolate (or anything burnt for that matter) does NOT smell good. So, be sure to melt your chocolate when you have the time to stand by and mix it constantly to avoid any burning!


Once my candy bars were melted, I mixed them in with the other ingredients and ended up with a very yummy frosting. It wasn't as fluffy as the recipe's pictures showed, or as dark, but it still held together with that cute little peak on top of the cupcakes which is all I care about! Well, that and the fact that it was soooo good! I think when I make them again, though, I will melt the candy bars for a little bit longer. The frosting had bits of chocolate that I guess didn't melt down all the way which didn't alter the taste at all, it just didn't look as pretty as it could have.

OH! and I can't forget the little treasure in the middle of the cupcakes. Such a brilliant idea! Of course I want a mini candy bar in the middle of my delicious chocolate cupcake. Who wouldn't?? This was the easiest part of the cupcake making process because you just baked them for a few minutes, dropped the piece of chocolate in the middle and TA-DA!! instant yummy filling.














 Top: After having them in the oven for about 5 minutes, push the candy bar 
into the middle of the cupcakes.
Bottom: This is what they look like after. I probably should have pushed them in farther 
before they were done baking.  Oh well!
















So, I'll leave you with that! Seriously, make these cupcakes, they were truly amazing! Or try making them with one of your own favorite candy bars. Milky Way? I'd totally be down for those.

Until later,
Baker in Training

Want a bite?? :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment